Holidays are where many of us enjoy our more romantic moments.
There’s just something about being away from home and away from responsibility that makes us all feel free to indulge in our more romantic whims, heading out on little adventures in the sunshine.
Here in the UK, there are few finer locations quite as ideal for a romantic getaway than Devon, home to endless sweeping vistas, irresistible restaurants, gorgeous weather and more things to do than we’ve got time to count.
It’s why at Lyme Bay holidays, we’re privileged to welcome thousands of couples every year to our romantic holiday cottages, but what are the best dates for making the most of Devon’s distinct charms? Here are six Devon date ideas:
- Go Fossil Hunting on the Beach – Leafy Devon might not be the first place that springs to mind when you conjure up images of vast dinosaurs roaming the land, but it should be, because Devon was once a hotbed of prehistoric life. Today, the Jurassic Coast is the most visible reminder of this great past, stretching from Exmouth in Devon to Studland Bay in Dorset. So why not pack a picnic, head down to the ocean and go hunting for fossils on the beach to grab a little memento from long, long ago?
- Learn to Cook at River Cottage – A good love is made in the kitchen, so why not learn to master your mustard at River Cottage HQ? The famous TV farm and restaurant runs regular cookery courses that are ideal for couples looking to share a laugh and learn a little in the kitchen. It’s a lovely way to spend an evening, and the sunset from the grounds? Well, it shouldn’t be missed.
- Head to the Food Festival – Music festivals might not be the most romantic spot, but food festivals? That’s something else entirely. Get lost in the joy of food and get to know Devon’s remarkable countryside with one of the many food and drink festivals happening across Devon this year.
- Board the Steam Train – There’s nothing like seeing Devon from a train, and what could be more romantic than a steam train ride through Devon’s remarkable countryside? The Dartmouth Steam Railway and River Boat Company offer a number of tours which highlight the splendour of this historic county.
- Splash Out at Dinner – Devon’s waters are home to one of the most vibrant fishing communities in the country, a community which delivers fresh fish every single day. Luckily, Devon enjoys four Michelin-starred restaurants in which to enjoy it. From Lympstone Manor in Exmouth to Gidleigh Park in Chagford, there’s no shortage of stunning dining locations for the romance-inclined.
- Discover Devon on Two Wheels – Devon’s towns and cities garner well-deserved acclaim, but there’s nothing like seeing Devon’s nature up close. Bike rental locations are common in Devon and exploring the county on two wheels is highly recommended, giving you the license to explore everything that Devon has to offer.