Taking a self-catered cottage holiday in Dorset is a fantastic way to get to know the area. Whether you’re strolling the beaches, taking in the local history, heading out to sea, taking in a show or any other activity, there’s no shortage of ways out there to discover the real Dorset.
However, anyone that’s ever visited Dorset will tell you that the only real way to get to know the county is through its remarkable food. Blessed with a plethora of farm land, orchards and more, Dorset plays host to a variety of farmers’ markets where you can pick up freshly picked veg, hand-reared meats, fresh fish, cheese, pies, puddings and, well, just about anything you can imagine.
Whether you’re buying for a dinner in or planning a picnic, Dorset’s farmers’ markets offer delightfully local and fresh foods. Here’s where and when you can find those farmers’ markets, as of July 2017:
- Bridport Farmers’ Market, Bridport – Running on the second Saturday of the month, Bridport famers market is a delightful way to pass a few hours. Friendly stall owners and around 30 stalls to look over mean you’ll have plenty to do. It runs from 9am to 1pm.
- Wool County Market, Wool – This covered market runs every Thursday from 10am to 11:30am at D’Urberville Hall. Coffee, crafts, plants, cakes and preserves are all available alongside the standard famers market grub.
- Purbeck Products Famers Markets, Swanage – Located in Swanage town centre on the second Saturday of the month, this market wins from 9am to 1pm, giving you plenty of time to browse the breads, veg and meats available.
- Wimborne Famers Market, Wimborne – Heading down to Wimborne on the third Sunday of every month between 9am and 1pm will land you in Wimborne famers market, with fantastic fresh food at fair prices.
- Dorchester South St Farmers’ Market, Dorchester – Running on the last Saturday of the month from 9am to 4pm, this town-centre farmers’ market has everything you need to make fantastic meals.
- Wareham Home Producers Market, Wareham – Something a little different, with home producers bringing their delightful food in for sale. Expect cakes, pies, preserves, glowers, vegetables and more! It runs every Thursday from 8:30am to 11am.
- Wareham Farmers’ Market, Wareham – Another Wareham market, this one takes place on the 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month from 9am to 1pm and offers a more traditional farmers’ market experience.
- Blandford Farmers’ Market, Blandford – 26 stunning stalls with everything you could desire from a farmers’ market, running on the second Friday of the month from 9am to 1pm.
- Poundbury Farmers’ Market, Poundbury – On the first Saturday of the month between 9am and 1pm is Poundbury’s farmers’ market. A mixture of local brands and micro-producers offers a unique experience.
- Shaftesbury Famers Market, Shaftesbury – The stunning market town of Shaftesbury plays host to a wonderful farmers’ market on the first Saturday of each month in the town hall. Turn up between 9am and 1pm for admittance.