Although physical music sales might be falling year-on-year, there’ no denying the live music industry is booming. It seems that with each passing week, news of a new music festival pops up, promising the biggest acts from any given genre in on, unmissable event.
Here in Dorset, we’re blessed with wide open fields, stunning scenery and more than our fair share of music enthusiasts. All of which means that Dorset is fast becoming the home for fledgeling music festivals and established festivals alike.
Our Dorset cottages offer the perfect base from which to enjoy the incredible music festivals or Dorset, but what can you expect to find in 2018? Here are a few of our highlights:
- Jazz by the Sea Festival, Bournemouth, 24th of July to 7th of July – Enjoy a full fortnight of jazz music at Jazz by the Sea Festival with appearances by Andy Quin, Ian Ellis, Mambossa and more!
- Folk on the Quay, Poole, 30th of June – Take in traditional and modern folk in stunning surroundings at Folk on the Quay in Poole, with music, dance and food aplenty for the whole family. Oh, and it’s free!
- Party in the Park, Weymouth, July 1st – Local radio station Air 107.2 are hosting a huge Party in the Park event in Weymouth with Cuba Libre, Under the Carousel, Milk & Two and many more taking to the stage for a great day out.
- Swanage Jazz Festival, Swanage, 13th-15th of July – A key date in the UK jazz calendar, Swanage Jazz Festival returns for another year in 2018 with over 60 acts including The Echoes Of Ellington Orchestra, Jazz Jamaica, Keith Nichols’ Blue Devils, Phronesis, Alan Barnes, Scott Hamilton & Champian Fulton, John Maddocks and more!
- Sandfest UK, Poole, 15th of July – Sandfest is back with an even bigger line-up for the ultimate party on the beach. This year it features Marc Kinchen, Lethal Bizzle, MistaJam and even a guest DJ spot from Idris Elba!
- Larmer Tree Festival, Salisbury, 19th-22nd of July – One of the biggest festivals in the south, Larmer Tree Festival celebrates its 27th birthday this year with the likes of First Aid Kit and Jake Bugg, all with the same stunning mixture of sights and sounds.
- Wilkswood Reggae Festival, Swanage 20th-22nd of July – Join legendary names from reggae history at Wilkswood Reggae Festival. Family run and family friendly, the festival this year features huge names like Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry, Mad Professor, General Levy and Joe Ariwa!
- Bestival, Lulworth, 2nd-5th of August – Bestival requires no introduction. It’s the most colourful festival on earth, a riot of great vibes, amazing music and world-class This year it’s turning 15 and celebrating with its biggest line-up ever which includes Grace Jones, London Grammar, M.I.A, Plan B, First Aid Kit, Chaka Khan and many, many more acts, alongside loads of family-friendly activities to take part in.
Quite simply, if you’re thinking music festival, you should be thinking Dorset. There’s a little something for everyone, so why not head on down and discover it for yourself?