Devonshire might be best known for its awe-inspiring scenery, culture and history, but for our money, it’s the world-class eating experiences on offer here which keep our customers coming back, holiday after holiday.
From international-standard restaurants to some of the finest local food providers in the country, you’d be hard-pressed to find a more impressive aspect of the historic county. It’s why all of our Devon cottages are self-catering, so you’re free to get out there and discover the best of what Devon has to offer.
It’s not just us that are barmy for brilliant eats though – the whole county is! So much so, in fact, that Devon is set to play host to an unprecedented number of food festivals, outdoor markets and more over the remaining 9 months of the year.
So, what’s on your culinary schedule this year? Let’s take a look.
- The Great Food and Drink Show, Exeter. Taking place from the 22nd to the 23rd of September, the Great Food and Drink Show in Exeter is your ticket to a world of culinary expertise. With award-winning chefs everywhere you turn, incredible things to taste and try plus so much more, The Great Food and Drink Show is an unmissable event highlighting the best in Devon food and drink.
- Salcombe Crab Festival, Salcombe. On Sunday 6th May, the Salcombe Crab Festival will hit the North Devon town, celebrating the amazingly flavoursome brown crab caught in the area with cookery lessons, tasting classes and more!
- River Cottage Food Fair, Axminster. From the 26th to the 27th May, visit the famous River Cottage grounds for a family fun day with an emphasis on amazing local food.
- Dartington Food Fair, Dartington. On the 27th and 28th of May, head to Dartington for the 8th annual Dartington food fair, with exclusively local food and drink alongside celebrity chefs, workshops and more, it’s a tremendous day out.
- Devon Fire & Spice Festival, Powderham. Running from the 18th to the 19th of August, the Fire & Spice festival in Powderham is the ultimate day out for those with a taste for everything hot. There are a hot chilli festival and multiple BBQ competitions, making it an unmissable summer day out.
- Exeter Street Food Market, Exeter. Taking place at various locations across Exeter from May to September, the Exeter Street Food Market is a roaming centre of culinary pleasure, with the UK’s brightest street food operations setting up shop in the busy city.
- Cullompton Food and Drink Festival, Cullompton. Hit up the Culm Valley on the 13th of October to find a wide selection of hot food stalls, artisan food producers, chef demonstrations and even a cream tea showdown in this unmissable annual event.
- Exeter Festival of South West Food and Drink 2018, Exeter. From the 5th to the 7th of May is the award-winning Exeter Festival of South West Food and Drink 2018. Held in the scenic gardens of Exeter Castle Courtyard and Northernhay Gardens, the festival welcomes around 20,000 people to discover what south-west food is all about.
- Dartmouth Food Festival, Dartmouth. From the 19th of October to the 21st, enjoy what Dartmouth’s amazing food and drink producers have to offer at the Dartmouth Food Festival. With incredible food, sumptuous drinks and a huge line up of celebrated chefs, it’s not one to miss!