Spring is here but there’s more than just bees in the air because romance is blooming all around us too.
Couples all over the country are taking advantage of the beautiful weather and sharing their love with the world, both at home or on holiday.
Here at Lyme Bay holidays, we welcome countless couples every year on romantic cottage holidays, as pairs descend on beautiful Devon to explore its many rich and varied delights.
From iconic landscapes to amazing active days out, there’s an endless sea of things to see and do.
What brings many couples back time and time again though are the amazing, romantic restaurants of Devon. Covering a diverse range of styles, price points and cuisines, the romantic restaurants of Devon offer something for everyone.
In this guide, we’re going to share with you some of our favourite dining spots from across Devon, but remember to book ahead if you want to guarantee a spot in these romantic locations:
- River Cottage, Axminster – Part of the iconic River Cottage family of restaurants made famous by Hugh Fearnley-Wittingstall, River Cottage Axminster offers a delightfully charming dining experience with an emphasis on ultra-fresh, local ingredients and modern classical cooking. It’s a top spot for romance, and if you’re feeling adventurous, you can even take a cooking class together!
- Lympstone Manor, Exmouth – For a more luxurious dining experience, head to Lympstone Manor in Exmouth. Recently awarded a Michelin Star for its superb cuisine and housed in a contemporary country house overlooking the Exe Estuary, the food on service here is light, modern and totally British, with local ingredients sourced on a daily basis, just don’t expect a cheap night out.
- Tierra Kitchen, Lyme Regis – Vegetarians can sometimes struggle to find restaurants which offer more than a token dish for their diet, but not at Tierra Kitchen. This all-vegetarian friendly restaurant offers simple, delicious, unpretentious vegetarian food by the waterside in stunning Lyme Regis. Go for a walk along the beach and swing by for a delightfully romantic evening.
- The Orange Tree Restaurant, Torquay – Grand yet intimate, the Orange Tree Restaurant shines on all fronts, with a classic European and British menu served with the sort of refinement which is typically only reserved for Michelin Starred restaurants. Booking ahead is a must, but for a romantic evening in a romantic setting, the Orange Tree Restaurant is a delightful dining spot.
- The Gallery Restaurant, Exeter – Recently refurbished to an incredibly high standard and located within spitting distance of Exeter’s biggest attractions, the Gallery Restaurant is the perfect place to retreat to after a long day adventuring in the city. Serving up ultra-fresh locally sources seafood in innovative and stylish ways, The Gallery is a tremendous option for any couple with a taste for the ocean.
- Old Vienna, Torquay – Austrian cuisine? In Torquay? No, we aren’t going mad, because the Old Vienna Restaurant in Torquay is serving up some remarkable traditional Austrian dining, utilising local and fresh ingredients. With a charm not found in most restaurants and warm, charming hosts, Old Vienna is not one to miss.